Call for Artists! Other Worlds: A Puppet Show
Tuesday, June 28 – Thursday, July 28 , –
ABOUT THE PROGRAM
Art Windsor-Essex would like to invite artists (theatre, musicians, visual arts, and the like) from the Windsor-Essex community to submit their interest to participate in a Puppet-making Workshop and Performance. Participants will create a puppet inspired by Dzama's creatures and a short 2-5 minute monologue and/or performance based on a selected work included in the exhibition. The monologue will be performed at AWE in late August.
WORKSHOP - Sunday, August 14
The puppet-making workshop will be 2.5 hours, in-studio at Art-Windsor Essex, with all materials supplied. During the workshop, participants will have time to outline their monologue and/or performance and make a puppet; curator Talysha Bujold-Abu will be on-hand for support, to discuss themes in the exhibition.
PERFORMANCE - Sunday, August 28
Participants will perform their monologues and/or performances in front of an audience at Art Windsor-Essex, for approximately 1 hour. Following the performance series, participants will participate in a talk-back: a chance to discuss the play with the participants and curator. The talk-back will be moderated by curator Talysha Bujold-Abu.
- Spots are limited.
- Each participant will receive an honorarium of $100.00 for their participation, after the program.
- Artists, musicians, poets, writers, and performers are encouraged to apply, although no artistic experience is necessary.
- Priority will be given to BIPOC voices and creators.
- The program will be led by artist and curator, Talysha Bujold-Abu.
- The program will be documented and compiled in a collaborative Zine.
- Fill out the Google Form below or click here to fill out.
- Applicants will be contacted and notified by late July.
ABOUT THE EXHIBITION
Marcel Dzama: Illustration and Other Worlds is an exhibition of embodied narratives, featuring objects, states of play, text, gestures and other unknown monstrosities. Where and how do we belong? Other Worlds presents a collection of misfits (and their violent undertakings) as a reintroduction to our inquisitive selves and search for bridges across this world and the next.